Thursday, July 8, 2010

Commission: The Violinist

One of my friends commissioned me to do a framed origami work that had to have an element of classical music or opera for her stepfather. I thought about it for a while and I wanted to incorporate an instrument. I finally decided on trying to make a violinist in a kimono.

Inspiration always comes to me at very late hours and I spent three hours working on the origami violinist - trying to get create the perfect hair, the perfect kimono, the perfect positioning and the violin. I also had to take into consideration the liberties I take making these pieces...the origami people never have hands or feet. This is what came out of it.



After going through around a dozen different chiyogami papers, I decided on these four backgrounds... I was really surprised at how many backgrounds went well with the violinist, but I really tried to narrow it down.


The silvery paper and the flowers and branches give it a very calm, zen feeling and the violinist stands out.


I like the gold background and the trees. The gold lining on the violinist's kimono seems to match well with the gold spirals on the water. It also makes me wonder whether the violinist's music is turning the trees pink or white.


I like how the gold dust seems to form clouds or water over the tones of blue. It has a magical feel to it. When I posted these pictures on facebook, majority of comments favoured this background.


I felt like this background had a fantasy feel to it - like there is a tree with ribbons or a sacred tree of some sort and the wind is blowing, while the violinist plays. My sisters liked this one the best.

In the end, it is a commission. I gave the choice to my friend and she chose the third background. I hope her stepfather likes it! I will post the finished piece before I hand it over to her! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment