Wednesday, October 6, 2010

[recent work] Chocolat, Je T'aime I

This work was actually is one of a two part series. I gave the owners of Ambiance Chocolat the other art piece, because they allowed me to display my work there and the chocolates I made in the frames were based on their signature ones. Plus, they are SUPERAWESOME, so I don't mind giving them one! I will post the picture of that one sometime this week (hopefully!)

pictures of the work in progress



Title: Chocolat, Je T'aime I (final version)


kitchen: I thought it should have black floor and be all white, but I chose sparkly off-white cardstock for the wall so it wouldn't look too plain. I used cardstock for the table and couldn't imagine it being just black or white, so I chose a beige marble-like design. The kitchen was beginning to take shape, but after I added Chef, I still felt that it wasn't enough. There was too much white space and didn't seem visually balanced, so I added the patterned chiyogami on the table's exterior and a black and white clock, slightly to the right.

chocolate: I love Ambiance Chocolat's chocolate designs. I really wanted to make similar chocolate for the piece. I went on their web site and looked at which chocolates I could try to copy. I purchased various clay - though, the packages didn't have brown clay. I could have just bought brown clay, but that would be boring and what would I do with an abundance of one colour? I thought it would be fun to mix the clay to make brown and experiment with different colours. I managed to replicate a few of their chocolates in extreme mini versions. It was a lot of fun, but it took a long time to figure out the size proportions, shapes and designs. I wanted the tray to look somewhat similar to what one actually looks like. After trying different things, I ended up using medicine packaging and I think it worked out.

Chef: Chef is wearing a yukata. I chose a checkered design, as it seemed the one she would wear in the kitchen. Are you surprised? All of my origami figures wear kimonos and this would be no exception. Yes, I know, normally the sleeves would be pulled up, but I took liberties. I had fun making Chef's hat. I fanned the top and then covered the bottom part with another strip of cardstock. I put a black line across the rim of the hat and on part of the apron, just to make them stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment